Weird Signs

As much as I love the beautiful, the serene, the breathless gorgeousness of a fresh pure snow scene or the incredible warmth that seems to radiate from the paper of sunny day shots...I'm oddly attracted to funny signs. Weird signs, old vintage, falling apart signs, signs that are spelled wrong, words written in the dust on the back of cars...and such. So here are a few of the ones I've collected. (many, many more- but I'll save some for later.)

Now, many of these were shot in Maine, which some of you may guess, based on the lobster pattern...



Here's a colorful one from Charlestown, Rhode Island. I love how the words "around the corner" actually go...around the corner.



Next we have the Middle of Nowhere Diner. Located along lone Route 3 in West Greenwich, Rhode Island. It's ntot pretentious, it doesn't scream "great food" but yet locals will know by the words below that it won best breakfast in our regional mag, Rhode Island Monthly.



I came upon an old, circa 1960's fire truck parked on the premises of a campground in Chepachet, Rhode Island a few weekends ago. I love its distressed surface and faded red color, and I love that it's the number 1!


Yep, that about sums up the philosophy of Bar Harbor, Maine, a gorgeous coastal town along the shores of Maine's Downeast coast.





Look carefully. At the flavor of ice cream offered right below "Ginger" (which is odd enough, but it sounds refreshing.) Personally, I remember having 3 scoops, one each of mud pie, smores, and cheesecake.



                                            
Looking for a Babi- sitter? Look no further! Score.


                                            
Del's frozen lemonade is a New England summer delicacy. Their motto is "stop at the sign of the lemon". I love these colors and the lemon graphic on the side of one of their ubiquitous lemonade trucks. It has a vintage feel to it, I only wish I had removed the website from below the lemon.

I do have a collection of funky signs too. The ones that catch my eye from afar are colorful, a little retro feeling, and kitschy. Signs like this abound in Cape Cod, where restaurants and touristy shops cater to families trying lose their cares like they did in summers past (and to entertain children, of course!) I plan on organizing more flickr sets based around these funky words and signs. How fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, I love reading them! Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment! :)