Affordable Art with Real Meaning

There are countless websites, home decorating magazines, and home stores hawking overpriced artwork. Pieces that were inspired and took hours of work and thought and planning don't have the same appeal to me once they're ubiquitously found in every cookie-cutter home catalog. Worse, much of the artwork I see at home decor chain stores is badly framed, sometimes not matted, or matted with unflattering colors. It takes a very unique eye and your own personal touch to create a piece that's going to coordinate with your house and the feelings you want to evoke. Lastly, who wants to have the same dull art as everyone else within a 3-mile radius?

 I love trolling through Etsy to find original, incredibly unique and really, really outrageous stuff. And at the end of the day, I'm able to purchase most of what I like for myself, because the artists and crafters I follow have fair pricing and a wonderful product. I've purchased several prints now from fellow fPOE team members, and opening their work and seeing it in my home is so rewarding- I feel a real connection with both the artists and the work. And I feel like it's special because I had a communication directly with the artist, conversations, emails, and signature on my piece. How many people who shop at chain stores and mega marts can say that about their artwork?


Art and photography is emotional, it can be life changing, it can open your eyes and change your point of view. And it should be something that everyone can afford. From a buyer's point of view, saving money is important. I want to be able to offer original works of art that don't cost ridiculous amounts of money, but whose prices reflect my efforts, and those of my fellow photographers. Efforts which include: the time, research and shopping, cost of software, cameras, equipment, computers, ink, photo paper, custom orders, shipping, packaging materials, labels, tuition, and for many artists, heart and soul.


For all of those variables, I believe my prices- starting at $5- are incredibly affordable and fair. I love that someone would take the time to look at something and have it speak to them in a way that they MUST own it! The feeling I have when someone purchases from me is incredible. I encourage everyone I know to create, create, create and put yourself out there and see what happens. Sometimes, I feel exposed and vulnerable, what with my full name on my Blog, my Etsy, and my Flickr- and my ramblings and photos for all the world to see! But it's amazing on so many levels.

PS....all the work above is available on my shop and super affordable!



Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, I love reading them! Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment! :)